Saturday, June 09, 2007

Sabbath Day (Overnight) Oatmeal

I have started making this on Saturday Nights so that on Sunday mornings before Church, we can sit down together and have an easy, filling breakfast before heading out to worship.
 



I make this quite often but have altered the recipe quite a bit. Here's my version - I am guessing on amounts - I pretty much eyeball everything:

3 c oatmeal
3c milk
1c apple juice
1c yogurt (I usually mix 1/2 c vanilla and 1/2 c plain)
almond extract to taste if you like that - just a splash or two
some almonds (it's better to sprinkle these in after you cook it so it does not get soggy)
frozen blueberries and cut up strawberries (the frozen fruit will turn the oatmeal purple so if you don't want it purple by the way! :)
some brown sugar or honey granules - about 1/2 c or more if you want it sweeter

You can change this up however you like - raisins, craisins, apples, nuts. It's really yummy!


Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
The next morning, warm the oatmeal on the stove or in the microwave. I prefer the stove. (If you're doing it on the stove, make sure that you stir it continuously.)

Here's the original recipe that I found on-line and tweaked:
2 cups oatmeal
3 cups milk
1 cup apple juice
apple pieces (optional)
raisins, nuts or wheat germ (optional)
Let sit overnight in the refrigerate. The next morning, warm the oatmeal on the stove or in the microwave.

No comments: