Saturday, February 18, 2006

Easy Cuban Mojo Chicken & Black Bean Salad



From Chelle:

"Yet another easy meal from my magazine tear outs. I would double the marinade recipe if you like lots of sauce. The lime gives the chicken a great kick. Very yummy. Oh, and the jalapeno in the black bean salad was perfect, not to spicy, just a nice flavor for the medley of beans and oranges. these are things that my pea brain would never think to mix together. I was floored at how good it all tasted together. So have at it."

Cuban Mojo Chicken with Mandarin-Black Bean Salad

Marinade:
¼ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt

4(5oz) chicken breasts

1. Combine 7 ingredients in dish or plastic bag: add chicken. Cover or seal and let stand 20 minutes (or longer if you have time)
2. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towel.
3. Coat non stick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium high add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until done. ( I grilled it in an indoor grilling/panini machine) Remove and keep warm.
4. Add marinade to skillet and bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring often.
5. Cut cooked chicken diagonally into ½ inch thick slices. Spoon Mandarin-Black Bean Salad in center of 4 serving plates. Arange chicken slices around salad, and drizzle chicken evenly with warm marinade.


Mandarin Black Bean Salad:

2 cups mandarin oranges well drained
1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed.
¾ cup jicama ( I had no idea what this was so I omitted it, I bet you can find it at the world market)
2 Tbsp chopped red onion
2 Tbsp seeded, minced jalapeno
2 Tbsp shredded fresh mint leaves ( I substituted cilantro since I had a bunch)
¼ tsp salt


Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand until ready to serve, tossing occasionally.





*I added some of the mandarin OJ to this and a splash of the lime juice - also - halved grape tomatoes

No comments: